Re: [pde-dev] Generic Editor and form tabs

Jonah has given some excellent suggestions on potential problem areas.  Most of the editors in PDE already have text editors in a tab and you should aim for similar look and feel.  We did not create a text editor at the time because there was no formal specification for a target definition's contents.  Its shape was therefore not API and we continued to make edits to it.  However, there have not been any changes to the file contents in quite some time and I expect it to remain stable going forward.  I look forward to seeing this contribution added to PDE.

Curtis Windatt

From:        Sopot Cela <scela@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        03/06/2017 04:13 AM
Subject:        [pde-dev] Generic Editor and form tabs
Sent by:        pde-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

The Target Definition file generic editor is an example of many cases for which I plan to provide a textual editor with syntax highlighting and autocomplete. The .target generic editor is already available and provides the two above mentioned features. To open it, now you have to 'Open with...' -> Generic Editor. So it's basically an editor in its own right.

I would like to add this alternative editor as a form tab to the main target definition editor (the UI one). So basically the TP editor would have 4 tabs: 'Definition', 'Content', 'Environment' and a new, say, 'Text editor' which would basically be equivalent to opening this file with the generic editor mentioned above. Just that this would be in the form tab rather than opening it as a separate editor.

Is there any (recommended) way to make this transition from a separate editor to a tab in a form editor? My initial investigation shows this would have to be added as a separate FormPage through the FormEditor#addPage but I'd like to check here first if there is a recommended way when you already have a working separate editor in place.

Thanks for the time,
Sopot