[pde-dev] Improving our process

In light of recent broken builds, regressions, and PTMD, I think it’s time
for PDE to find ways to improve its process. There will always be broken
builds, but with some modest changes we can reduce the breakage and the
stress it creates.

Our goal is sustainable stability.

I’d like to see the following practices adopted:
* Bug fixes and features that can have automated tests must have automated
tests.
* New features that can’t have automated tests (some UI things, etc., are
extremely hard to write tests for), must have a test script that can be
added to the PDE test plan.
* Fixes and features that change the existing test plan should come with
test plan updates.
* Bugs must be verified by someone other than the original developer
(another committer or the original bug reporter if possible). Don’t be
afraid to back out fixes/features that are broken or causing regressions
elsewhere.
* Ensure contributions meet SDK quality. Don’t be afraid to reject
contributions that aren’t up to par.

These ideas aren’t new – they are practiced by other SDK teams (JDT,
Debug, API tools). It’s important to note that these process enhancements
aren't intended to slow progress or hinder contributions – they help us
proceed with confidence.

Darin

Back to the top