Re: [pde-dev] Creating a Language Support project

You will have more luck getting answers on the newsgroups (http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/) or IRC (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/IRC). This list is more intended for questions about the development of PDE, rather than developing plug-ins using PDE.

The 'types' of projects you are referring to are called project natures. A project can have 0, 1 or more natures associated with it (ex. projects created by PDE are often both java projects and plug-in projects). Natures are related to builders which are tools that interact with projects of a certain nature. See this article on builders and a natures http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Builders/builders.html

There is a lot more you can do with natures, new project wizards, custom menus, etc. and there are different extension points involved in each.

Curtis

Inactive hide details for "Tyler Kocheran" ---12/17/2008 03:10:42 PM---Hello Eclipse PDE World!"Tyler Kocheran" ---12/17/2008 03:10:42 PM---Hello Eclipse PDE World!

"Tyler Kocheran" <rfkrocktk@xxxxxxxxx>

pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/17/2008 03:10 PM

[pde-dev] Creating a Language Support project

Hello Eclipse PDE World!
I'm interested in building an Eclipse plugin to support a language (the language isn't really important). I understand the concepts of views and editors in Eclipse, but all of the documentation that I've looked at so far has been extremely vague on developing a type of project. For example, how would I create my own "{Language} Project" like the "Java Project" template? I understand a little about wizards, but it seems that creating a project is beyond the scope of just a simple wizard that creates it. Files can be and usually are associated with a project, validation is associated with a project, etc. How do I do this? What extensions do I have to make?

- TK

--
And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep;
for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed.