[pde-dev] Using JRuby to write Eclipse plugins

Hi all!

I hope you are all well :)

Our project is developing a "Dispatcher" application for an airport
fuelling system.  It is used to direct the fuel trucks to aircrafts who
have ordered fuel.

We have chosen Java as the runtime platform on all tiers since we are
familiar with it.  The four tiers are an in-vehicle application, a
headless server application, a web application and the "Dispatch"
application.

The in-vehicle, server, and web applications are all written in Ruby
using JRuby.  The in-vehicle application uses Eclipse SWT+JFace for GUI
(no RCP), and it is working VERY well.  We recommend it :)

We have started writing parts of the Dispatcher application as an
Eclipse RCP plug-in, and we have been writing in Java.  However it is
clear that we are duplicating lots of Ruby code, so we will switch to
writing the plug-in in Ruby, using JRuby.

This is going well except for one bug:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-3100

Is concerns the OSGI class loading model and we would LOVE to get some
help with this.  The JRuby team is on it, but they would REALLY benefit
from help from you guys since you know the OSGI class loading model
well.

Please, could you look at the example in the JIRA issue and maybe
contact Charles Oliver Nutter?  He will tell you what help he
requires.

This is a chance to spread the Eclipse RCP platform outside the Java
language :)  Writing Eclipse plug-ins in Ruby is a joy and makes it
accessible to even more developers.

I await your responses with great anticipation :)

--
With kind regards,
Uwe Kubosch