Re: [pde-dev] preparing to graduate API tooling

Great.  thanks for the answers.  You might want to make those points a bit more explicitly in the materials (or perhpas they are and I just missed them...)

This whole area is very exciting...

Jeff

Darin Wright/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: pde-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/09/2008 09:19 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [pde-dev] preparing to graduate API tooling

> - Do you expect to have version checking tools as well?  That is,
> checking that the version numbers were properly incremented based on
> the analyzed changes.

Yes, we intend to provide problem markers and quick fixes for incorrect bundle/plug-in version numbers.

> - Will you support headless build time analysis?

The code is designed to run headless without OSGi to support build time analysis. Initially we need to produce "API description" metadata as part of each bundle in the build. Time permitting we would like to produce API usage and binary compatibility reports as part of the build. We have the code to produce the information required for the report - we just need to allocate time/resources to integrate this in to the releng process, and produce nicley formatted reports. We'll require some help/coordination with the releng team for this.

pde-dev mailing list
pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx