From: Ian Bull <irbull@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/30/2007 11:54 PM
Subject: [pde-dev] Product vs. Launch Inconsistencies

There seems to be some inconsistencies between the product configuration
and a launch configuration.  I have a small OSGi application that I can
launch fine from Eclipse, but when I go to create a product, export it,
and launch it, it doesn't run the same.  The reason is the actual
configuration file (the one that defines which bundles should start, and
their run level, etc...) is not in sync with what I launched from
Eclipse.  This may just be my lack of understanding, and if it is tell
me and I will post the question on the newsgroup.  However, I think the
problem exists because the launch and product configuration are two
separate things.

I know I can address this by grabbing (or pointing my config.ini file)
to the one created in configuration directory when I launch my OSGi
application, but this seems a little convoluted.  Since it is still
early in the development cycle, does anyone have other  thoughts on how
we could address this?  Does anyone else see this as a problem or is
there a better way to manage my development + export environment?  It
seems like we could provide a slightly better use experience here.

Cheers,
Ian

--
R. Ian Bull