Re: [pde-dev] Plug-in Dependency Visualization Tool

Ian, my bad for not mentioning this early, check out the incubation project guidelines:
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/parallel-ip-process.php

Along with what Jeff said, we need to add the work "incubation" to the update site before Bjorn goes all process on us.

Cheers,

---
Chris Aniszczyk | IBM Lotus | Eclipse Committer | http://mea-bloga.blogspot.com | +1.860.839.2465

Inactive hide details for Jeff McAffer ---10/15/2007 11:14:04 AM---Ian,  Turns out that using 0.1 and saying it is a "release" Jeff McAffer ---10/15/2007 11:14:04 AM---Ian, Turns out that using 0.1 and saying it is a "release" is counter to the

Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

10/15/2007 11:14 AM

Re: [pde-dev] Plug-in Dependency Visualization Tool

Ian,
Turns out that using 0.1 and saying it is a "release" is counter to the Eclipse development process. The implication is that the code has been legally reviewed and gone through a release review etc. This is not hte case for this tool nor is it, I assume, your intention. You need to give some external indication that the code is still in development and has not gone through the various reviews to be considered a "release". Typically projects end up talking about Milestones. It is widely understood and accepted that milestones have not been reviewed in a deep way.

So, in your case you need to recast the recent event as "making the first milestone of the visualization work available". This should not impact the code or features as they have whatever version number they have according to the plugin/feature version numbering scheme. You should update your web site to call this M1, change "release" to "available" and perhaps follow up your blog with something saying that this is not an official release but rather the first milestone...

Sorry for the hassle but it is important that Eclipse consumers have a consistent experience wrt legal and quality when getting things from Eclipse. That is why we have the development process.

Jeff

Ian Bull <irbull@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: pde-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/14/2007 01:46 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[pde-dev] Plug-in Dependency Visualization Tool

As part of my time at the IBM Centre for Advanced Studies and my work on
Google Summer of Code, I have developed a Plug-in Dependency
Visualization tool as part of the PDE Incubator project.  I was first
recruited by Wassim and I have been working closely with Chris Aniszczyk
(my SoC mentor).   The project's website is at [1].

[1]
http://www.eclipse.org/pde/incubator/dependency-visualization/

I have made an initial version available on an update site at
eclipse.org [2] (Thanks Chris!).  It works with Eclipse 3.3 or greater
(I tested it on 3.4 M2 and it seems to work fine).  I have also put
together a New and Noteworthy to highlight some of the features [3].

[2]*http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/pde/incubator/visualization/site
*[3]
http://www.eclipse.org/pde/incubator/dependency-visualization/new/index.php

It is pretty easy to use.  Simply load the view (Visualizations->Graph
Plug-in Dependencies), and right click on the canvas.  Then select the
bundle whose dependencies you wish you see.

If anyone has thoughts, suggestions, ideas, please feel free to open a
bug report.  There is already a good suggestion to show extension point
use.

Cheers,
Ian

--