Re: [pde-dev] PDE API Tooling status

Hi Elizabeth,

The PDE API Tooling effort is now rolling. Currently work is going on in
the PDE incubator project. For the 3.4 milestone 3  (3.4 M3 - November
2nd), development will be in the incubation state but aim to have a
plug-in (or plug-ins) that users can download to use with the milestone
build.

Our first priority is to design an extensible architecture that can be
used for API comparisons (i.e. detect breaking changes, etc.), and for API
usage scenarios in batch/headless and IDE scenarios. We intend to
implement API comparison tools first (so usage reports will likely not be
available in M3). We will aim to deliver more with milestone 4 and 5
(http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/eclipse_project_plan_3_4.html#Milestones).
The API for API tools will not be frozen until the 3.4 release ships in
June (since this is new tooling, we retain flexibility of changing APIs
during the release cycle). However, the API will become more and more
solid as the release cycle progresses.

We are excited to have "anxious" users to test API tooling, so stay tuned
for developments.

Darin Wright

Elizabeth B Silberg <silberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: pde-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/24/2007 06:09 PM
Please respond to
"Eclipse PDE general developers list." <pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[pde-dev] PDE API Tooling status

Darin, Mike and Olivier, as we've discussed offline, I am quite interested
in using the PDE API Tooling within our team's build technology.  The
benefits of this would be huge for your team, as it would provide
significant user feedback on the results of the API Tooling in addition to
the extra development eyes from my team.  As my team is actively looking
for a way to manage our API, we are anxious to be ready for and use PDE
API Tooling as soon as possible.

We are testing out the current capabilities of PDE API Tooling already and
have been providing feedback, but integrating this tool into our builds is
a large enough effort that we would like a good level of confidence that
the tooling's API is stable before we move forward with this work.  You
previously mentioned that you still expected some major code changes in
PDE API Tooling.  At what point do you expect the headless interfaces to
be stable enough for adoption of the tooling?  We can pick up functions
separately; any sort of timeline on completion of the pieces of API
tooling would be helpful.

Thanks,
pde-dev mailing list
pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx