[pde-dev][api-tools] Remote snapshot repository support

We'd like to have a snapshot repository located on a dedicated web server. My initial attempt to use this approach with latest version of PDE API Tools failed.

Q1) Is the remote repository support not there or am I doing something wrong?
Q2) Is such support in plans at all?

====================== More details on what I tried so far =========================

1) Set repository location to my remote location in the control file to http://myrepository.xyz.com:

        <repository location="http://myrepository.xyz.com" type="http"/>

2) I also tried to set this location value in the "Compare APIs" dialog:

3) I debugged the validation code which currently expects only File.isDirectory() to be true for the repository location:

package org.eclipse.pde.api.tools.ui.internal;

public class Validate {

        static public boolean folder(String dir) {
                if (dir == null || dir.length() == 0)
                        return false;
                File file = new File(dir);
                return file.isDirectory();