From: pde-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pde-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Kehn
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:32 PM
To: pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [pde-dev] Profiling PDE Junit Plugin Tests

Your question is really appropriate for the newsgroups, but I can offer some suggestions.  I've had good success with YourKit Java Profiler under Eclipse, whether running standalone or with the PDE. The setup is straightforward -- copy their DLL (yjpagent.dll) to your JRE's bin directory, specify -Xrunyjpagent as vmargs in the launch configuration / command line, and it communicates with the YK user interface.

I've also used JProbe in the PDE, but that's a little more challenging since JProbe wants to launch the profilee as a child process, and the PDE by default makes the same assumption.  Making them both happy involved launching my application using the PDE to establish its runtime configuration area, exiting the runtime instance, then having JProbe relaunch Eclipse using the same parameters / setup area as the PDE would.  The "trick" is finding what options the PDE uses to get the runtime instance going.  Well, no magic there -- launch your application in the PDE and in the Debug view, select "Properties" on the process to see the equivalent command line options you would need to launch it under JProbe (or any other profiler which launches the application as a child process).  One small caveat I noted was that JProbe doesn't handle quoted paths correctly in its sessions settings (*.jpl), although I have an old copy and it may have since been corrected (v5.0.1).

Hope this helps...

-- Dan

----- Message from Scott Gelb <SGelb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:37:45 -0600 -----
To:
pde-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:
[pde-dev] Profiling PDE Junit Plugin Tests

Greetings,

   I'm new to Eclipse PDE development, so please bare with me...

   I've been having some difficulty using a few of the profilers out there to investigate some memory issues in a few of my junit tests. These tests require the pde and thus they run as junit plugin tests via the Eclipse environment. If I try to use the Eclipse profiler, I get the same error/exception that I receive when trying to run a pde test as a normal junit test:

org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.AssertionFailedException: assertion failed: The application has not been initialized.

at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.Assert.isTrue(Assert.java:101)

at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.assertInitialized(InternalPlatform.java:191)

at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.getPluginRegistry(InternalPlatform.java:410)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.getPluginRegistry(Platform.java:321)

at com.metamatrix.core.util.SmartPdeTestSuite.<init>(SmartPdeTestSuite.java:24)

at com.metamatrix.modeler.core.PdeTestAutomatedTestUtil.suite(PdeTestAutomatedTestUtil.java:73)

at com.metamatrix.modeler.core.PdeTestAutomatedTestUtil.main(PdeTestAutomatedTestUtil.java:40)

Exception in thread "main"

   What type of strategy do people use when profiling junit tests that require the pde? Is there a way to bootstrap a profiling tool to the jvm that the pde initializes? Again, I apologize for my naiveté, but I'm nearing my wits' end on figuring out a good way to accomplish this goal.

Thanks,

Scott