Re: [paho-dev] Paho Release 0.9 Review Documentation (for review)

I'll give a couple of answers to make sure I cover all the basis ... but, in general, you're right, what ever is reasonable for your project AND adopters is fine, for service releases. (The key being that only "service field" is changing, and that no changes to IP Log is required).

So, answer 1? Is the question based on exact timing of bugs found/fixed and the release review? If so, you can change exact content of the "release" pretty much any time before the literal review, just keep everyone informed and be explicit if it effects "IP Log". If does not, it is pretty much up to you. If does effect IP log, then you can still tweak that, up to "last minute", but that's more up to Eclipse IP staff if they can accommodate last minute change (this could happen for example, if the fix for that critical bug came from existing committer, or was a patch provided by non-committer. Even then, if its a matter of "adding a name", that's usually fine ... but if its something large, then that's the point it might require some delay so that they can do their usual analysis to make sure it is IP Clean.).

Answer 2: You (obviously?) don't want to do a service release every time you fix any 'ol bug, so its sort of a trade off: if "critical" enough that any/every user/adopter should pick up the fix, then service release would be best, OR if merely important, but not critical, you can sometimes simply provide a "patch" .... and often just attached to a bugzilla is fine ... with a statement that the fix/patch will be included in the next release or service release. Keep in mind, too, that its usually best to "make fix available" as a "service release candidate" for a month or so, and make sure it really fixes the problem for real adopters/users without having some unanticipated side-effect.

From my (little) understanding of your project, I think it's reasonable that a component can have its own "service release" independent of the rest of the larger project, but also remember, its conceptually equivalent, and often easier for adopters/users to understand what to do, if you call or package "the whole project" as a service release, even though, only one component has actually changed. This just makes it easier to communicate things like "use release .91 of Paho" rather than (imagine this over time, several months from now) use .90 of base Paho, plus .91 of this component, plus .92 of this other component, .... etc. That gets confusing quicker than you might imagine.

I hope this brief summary gives you the general guidance you need. I'm sure there is "exceptions to every rule" so don't be afraid to ask, in future, if you think you have an exception to any of the general guidelines, and as long as you communicate well to your users and adopters and make it easy for them to "keep things straight", then I think Eclipse and staff can accommodate just about any thing you need. Make sense?

HTH

From:        Ian Craggs <icraggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        paho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:        04/23/2014 05:05 AM
Subject:        Re: [paho-dev] Paho Release 0.9 Review Documentation (for review)
Sent by:        paho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Roger,

good question.  The Eclipse docs say that Service Releases do not need a
review.  For practical reasons, it would be good if we only had to
synchronize all the components on non-service releases.  In fact, I
don't see any other way being reasonable.  We should get some input from
the project mentors on this.

Ian

https://github.com/jpmens/mqttwarn

http://jpmens.net/2014/02/17/introducing-mqttwarn-a-pluggable-mqtt-notifier/