[p2-dev] p2 and multi-platform installs of Eclipse

Hi all,

Our Eclipse based products have historically always been multi-platform capable installs, that is: a single installation on disk could be run on either Windows, Linux or Solaris host. In the past, we did this by simply extracting the 3 ZIPs into the same location, and renaming the Launcher ("eclipse.exe", "eclipse.linux", "eclipse.solaris").

When adopting p2, we found that we had to tweak a few more bits for making that happen - based on the eclipse-platform-* downloads:
  • Create a "Multi-Platform" profile by editing the Platform profile for Linux and getting rid of the x86,linux,gtk spec
  • Create a "Multi-Platform" bundles.info by merging contents of Windows+Linux+Solaris bundles.info
I'm wondering if there is any kind of documentation, known issues or other information about that multi-platform installation case.
Anything you'd like to point us to?

For instance, if we "check for updates" while running on Windows, would the Linux and Solaris bits also get updated?
Would we risk getting an invalid installation?
Or is this scenario just a no-no ?

Any pointers appreciated,

http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top