[ormf-dev] Evaluation and selection of UML modelling tool

Hi,

I would very much like for the entire ORMF team to embrace modelling as both an aid to analysis and design and for documentation. The issue is what tool do we use. The two obvious choices are the eclipse UML2 Tools and Topcased.

The issues with UML2 are that it does not support reverse engineering nor sequence diagrams. This limits its usefulness as a long term complete solution.

I have tried Topcased <http://topcased.gforge.enseeiht.fr/> UML2 Tools. I find that it has usability issues and was also not able to successfully create class models from the reverse engineered model of a fairly simply one plug-in, 6 package, 12 class project. Halfway into walking through the packages it threw a transformation exception. This was using their latest RCP standalone version on Windows, so it is not local configuration issue.

With Topcased there is also the consideration that it is aimed at the "Critical systems Topcased is a software environment primarily dedicated to the realisation of critical embedded systems including hardware and/or software." So it surely has complexity that ORMF does not have to buy into.

If there are recommendations from the team as to other options that would be great.

What I would like is a team member to pick this up, do whatever research and evaluation is required and report back, so that the team can make a decision.

I have opened a bugzilla issue to track this work.

Thanks,
Joel

Back to the top