[ormf-dev] Re: Interesting (and interested in) Approach

Hi Flavelle,

[NB - have taken the liberty of including the ormf-dev mail list in my reply.]

Thank you very much for you kind email and your offer to contribute. I am not certain whether or not you are aware that Useme and its underlying framework has recently been approved as an Eclipse Foundation inubator project called the Open Requirements Management Framework or ORMF. Later in this email I will point you to some of the new resources that will be useful for you to follow and contribute to the project. I am certain that we (the entire ORMF team) would be very pleased with your contributing as you outlined.

Presently Useme requires a full blown Java 5 EE application server. This may not be the case however for the first alpha release in a few months, but nothing is certain yet. As far as the OS, any Windows, Linux or OS X environment would be suitable for either the server or client. The database is not an issues as we use an embedded Derby database, so this is transparent to the installation environment. At the moment there are no plans to enable export of to an external website, but this feature could be proposed and considered.

If you would like to try out the Useme client we have set up a test server to make this easy for interested parties such as yourself. You will need to install Eclipse if you have not yet, and then use the update manager to install Useme. Let me know if you would like to try and I will send you detailed instructions.

If you wish to stay up to date with developments and release dates, there are several options, depending upon your degree of interest and desire for involvement:

1) The ORMF project website http://www.eclipse.org/ormf contains updated information on the status of the project

2) The project's newsgroup eclipse.technology.ormf contains discussions, comments, requests for help on a day to day basis. It can be useful to peruse or, even better, to contribute ideas, questions etc.

5) The Bugzilla repository for any issues and/or feature or enhancement requests. This can be reached at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs and the project's issues can be found by searching under "Technology" as Classification and "ORMF" as product.

6) Last but not least, the Useme newsletter contains a periodic summary of all that has happened to Useme and ORMF since the last publication. You can subscribe to it at http://www.etish.org/newsletter/signup.html

Thank you once again for your interest in Useme.

Btw, I am curious as to what you meant by It was frustrating when looking through the eclipse site to find the message that 'linux was coming later'.  Could you elucidate on that?

All the best,
Joel