Re: [orion-dev] GSoC2013 - Create a app store or portal for Orion plugins

Hi Yasura,

Thanks for your interest.  Currently the Orion "plugins" that people write, either from the Orion team or others, are available at Mark's Github page - http://mamacdon.github.io.  You can see the source for this page https://github.com/mamacdon/mamacdon.github.com.

The current workflow is that we have an extension for "getplugins()" that knows about this one hard coded landing place.  The transition from wherever you're hosting Orion to the plugins site determines what versions of plugins are displayed (for compatibility) and a bit of host information is brought along in the request in order for the "Install" link to take you back to your hosted Orion.

In the Orion settings page for Plugins you can install, pause and remove plugins.  It's an ok page but could be so much more interesting.  Enhancements include allowing multiple destination plugin sites, showing the plugins available right in the settings page and filtering based on category of plugins, allowing groups of plugins to be installed together vs. individually.

One thing that would take some amount of collaboration would be deciding how the Plugin's site could work.  As you see at the moment, someone who wanted their plugin added could issue a Git Pull Request but perhaps this should be improved upon.  So design and collaboration on this could happen early on in the project while the other items mentioned above could be under active development by the student.

Ken Walker
Co-Lead Eclipse Orion Project | Tools for the Web, On the Web
http://orionhub.org | http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion
@kwalker | @orionhub

Inactive hide details for Yasura Vithana ---2013/04/22 01:39:13 AM---Hello, I am an undergraduate from the Department of ComputYasura Vithana ---2013/04/22 01:39:13 AM---Hello, I am an undergraduate from the Department of Computer Science and

Yasura Vithana <yasuravithana@xxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,

2013/04/22 01:39 AM

[orion-dev] GSoC2013 - Create a app store or portal for Orion plugins

    Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I am an undergraduate from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka and am interested in taking part in GSoC 2013.
In the ideas page of The Eclipse Foundation I came across this project idea : "Create a app store or portal for Orion plugins". It appears to me that it is something that I would enjoy taking part in. So I thought of seeking more information about this project idea and hope someone here would be glad to tell me more about the project idea.
I have already tried to use Eclipse Orion and worked with some plugins. As I can see, the app store that is supposed to be built should directly interact with eclipse Orion. So I might need to work with the Orion source too. Please give me some information on this.

Thank you
orion-dev mailing list
orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx