Re: [orion-dev] Orion Meeting Minutes - March 8, 2012

You're absolutely right. I think when Ken started this draft plan he just grabbed the data from last cycle's plan, with the intent on updating it later. I tend to agree that while we are working on a given release, the version number is not that important. Of course we are using whatever is the latest release (or beta channel) on any given day because it's difficult to do otherwise. The only thing is, once the release is finished, I think it is useful historical information to say version X of Orion was well tested on Chrome Y and Firefox Z. Years later when supporting a product running an older release of orion, that might be important information to have. Here is what I propose we do:

- During the 0.5 release cycle we just say "Chrome", and "Firefox" in the plan document
- When we do our final plan update we set it to be the current browser version at the time we released

I think this captures the useful information we need without forcing us to update our plan every couple of weeks to remain current.

John A

John J Barton <johnjbarton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/08/2012 02:02 PM

Please respond to
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orion-dev] Orion Meeting Minutes - March 8, 2012

I totally understand you don't want to hear this, but your plan
http://plans.orion.eclipse.org/orion-project-plan-0-5.xml
targets Chrome 15 for 0.5, but 15 is obsolete already,

http://www.statowl.com/web_browser_usage_by_version.php?timeframe=last_6&interval=month&chart_id=4&limit[]=chrome&fltr_os=&fltr_se=&fltr_cn=

By the time 0.5 lands, 16 will also not really be available. In fact
by the 0.5 release date in June, Chrome will be at 21:
http://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar

I think it makes much more sense to target Chrome beta channel or even
stable channel rather than a numerical release that does not exist.
Ditto Firefox.

jjb

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Meeting_minutes/20120308