Re: [orion-dev] orion and debugging story?

Are you aware that in the Chrome debugger you can do exactly that - double click to live-edit, then save and continue debugging your edited code without reloading the page. There is even an extension that can auto save your 'live edits' back to the file system. Perhaps this can be made to work nicely with orion ?

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Susan Franklin McCourt <susan_franklin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Setting the breakpoint is important, but I find the reverse to be very useful, too. I'm often stepping in the debugger and I realize what's wrong. I want to get back to the Orion editor at the line that I'm on in the debugger. Even some low tech extensions that surface a link back to Orion would be cool. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to fix the code in the debugger, started to type, and then...oh yeah,...go back to the tab with the code.

Inactive hide details for Simon Kaegi ---03/05/2012 10:21:24 AM---Hi John, Yes that's correct at least for the time being.Simon Kaegi ---03/05/2012 10:21:24 AM---Hi John, Yes that's correct at least for the time being.

From: Simon Kaegi <Simon_Kaegi@xxxxxxxxxx>

To: Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03/05/2012 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [orion-dev] orion and debugging story?
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi John,

Yes that's correct at least for the time being.
We want to be able to show some integration with the debugger and being able to set/remove breakpoints from our editor page was a capability that committers wanted and would use immediately if they could. There are probably other simple things we might try to do for 1.0 especially if they're straightforward and immediately helpful to the team, but for the moment we're only looking at augmenting and working with the existing browser debug UI.

Longer term I fully expect us to have a debug UI as we want to provide tooling for a wide range of languages however even then I suspect we will "also" continue to try to find ways to augment and work with the built in browser debug tools.

-Simon

Inactive hide details for John J Barton ---03/05/2012 12:46:04 PM---On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Ken Walker <Ken_Walker@ca.iJohn J Barton ---03/05/2012 12:46:04 PM---On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Ken Walker <Ken_Walker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I think that in the 1.0

John J Barton <johnjbarton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

03/05/2012 12:46 PM