Re: [orion-dev] Receipt for orion plugin reloading

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Gabriel Petrovay
<gabipetrovay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am changing several files:
> - a css file (default-theme.css)
> - a plugin html file
> - a js file used by the plugin.
>
> What is the sound way to reload plugins such that I can be sure that
> no chaches in the browser or orion server are hit and all my changes
> are visible?
>
> I have tried to:
> - reload (the action on the plugins page) all plugins
> - reload (the action on the plugins page) my plugin
> - reload page in the browser
> - reload page in the browser without cache (Ctrl-F5)
> - stop the server
> - uninstall a plugin - restart server - install plugin
>
> I have not find out the combination that consistently shows my changes.
>
> Any tips on this? What is the minimum that should (theoretically) work
> and if somebody encountered problems with such reloading/caching.
>
> My expectations are that any changes in any non-java and non-config
> files should be visible directly or at most reloading a singe plugin.

An Orion plugin is a iframe in the Orion editor page. The iframe URL
is the URL you put into the plugins page. In Firefox, you reload the
browser window with cache override (either Ctrl+F5 or Shift+Ctrl+R),
the iframe will be fetched from the server. So if you don't see the
iframe content change when you reload with override cache, then your
server-to-sourcefile system is broken.

I used Orion server to hold my plugin and never had a problem of fresh
reloads. However, very commonly the plugin manager forgets about the
plugin and you have to re-install it.  I got in the habit of loading
the plugin in to one tab just so I could copy and paste its URL in the
plugin page.

I'll check in Chrome soon.

jjb