Re: [orion-dev] getting started playing vs getting started transitioning

On 6/8/2011 10:42 AM, John Arthorne wrote:
Having said that, it still feels like you are feeling an inordinate amount of self-hosting pain compared to many Orion developers that are also running local servers. One thing to keep in mind is that you should never need to blow away and recreate your orion workspace (the "serverworkspace" directory if you are using a built server, or the "{workspace_dir}/../foo" directory if you are using the launch configuration). You should be able to just point a new server at an existing workspace and go. For example the procedure I use for upgrading orion.eclipse.org is roughly:

rm -fr eclipse_old/
mv eclipse/ eclipse_old/
unzip eclipse-orion-I2011xxxx.zip
cp -r eclipse_old/serverworkspace/ eclipse/
cp eclipse_old/orion.conf eclipse/
cd eclipse
orion

Thanks, I'll try that next time.  I think it would be a good addition to the wiki.
You should only ever have to "set up"  that workspace once. URLs of your stuff should remain stable across builds because the workspace is remaining the same.

I wonder if this is what you're missing which is making your self hosting setup so clearly painful?
Yes, I only got the ../foo thing to work yesterday.  Previous I was not able to get the git HEAD to work, so all of my previous work has been with downloaded orion.

Also have two different machines and I was trying to use orion as a server for TDD where my tests are in firebug source tree. I can't always use relative urls in prototyping so the URL problem keeps getting in the way.

jjb

Back to the top