Re: [orion-dev] Draft Orion proposal

I agree that this is an important distinction. And I understand why you don’t want to have programming tools for other languages in the Orion scope. However, I would like to suggest that somewhere in the proposal that we make it clear that we want many tools to leverage Orion and to create lots of other projects that make use of it, including programming tools for other languages.

So I would suggest that the last paragraph of the “Out of Scope” section be expanded to read:

Specific web-based development tools, other than those required to build Orion itself, are out of scope. However, we encourage those interested in using Orion to build such tools to consider proposing projects at Eclipse or Eclipse Labs to do so.

I am worried that the current wording is unwelcoming. It could be misinterpreted as we are uninterested in the creation or success of such projects, which is clearly not the case.

There is an important distinction between "web-based tools" and "tools for web technologies". By "web-based tools" we really mean tools built on Orion for other arbitrary programming languages. Think of Orion-based C++ tools for example. Maybe the way to avoid the confusion is to remove the adjective "web-based" from the "out of scope" section. Programming tools for other languages are out of scope, period. Whether they are web-based tools or Eclipse desktop-based tools is immaterial.

Back to the top