Re: [orion-dev] Regarding Orion Web IDE PHP Editor (GSoC)

Hi Karol, welcome to Orion!

In Orion's current state, your summary is right. There is currently a single styler for all file types and your PHP styling would need to go there. For syntax checking and content assist, there is similarly only a single service today. However in the plan for our next milestone [1], there is work to create extension points to enable arbitrary syntax colouring, checking, and content assist in a more extensible way (for example different implementations for different editor types).

So the key question for you is, when are you planning to do this work? Is it over the summer, or are you starting now? If you are starting now, you can use the existing mechanisms, and then whoever is doing the extension point work can help with refactoring that into a more modular structure (separating PHP, JS, CSS, etc, into separate contributions). If you are mostly planning to work over the summer, you might want to wait for M7 (April 29th) when those extension points are hopefully in place. Either way, it will be fantastic having a contributor working on tooling for another language, because it will help us ensure the Orion platform is truly extensible. Just keep in mind this is a very early stage in the project so the road might be a bit more bumpy than on an established platform like desktop Eclipse!

John

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Milestone_Plan

Karol Gusak <karol@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/31/2011 05:10 AM

Please respond to
Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[orion-dev] Regarding Orion Web IDE PHP Editor (GSoC)

Hello,

My name is Karol and I'm interested in implementing Orion PHP Editor
as GSoC 2011 project. I know the idea principles thanks to extensive
reply from Jacek at pdt-dev [0]. I've read the wiki and looked into
the source and I'd like to ask you some more detailed questions about
implementation of PHP Editor features:

1) Syntax Coloring - as far as I understand there is styler.js in
client.editor bundle which handles all syntax coloring for any
language. So I should probably add keywords there and add a case in
editorContainer.js. I believe there isn't any plugin system for this
functionality yet?

2) Syntax checking - I should just bind my code to
IEditorSyntaxChecker service, right?

3) Content Assist - I could use eclipse.ContentAssist from
contentAssist.js to implement keyword completion. Then I could extend
it to support more sophisticated completion.

In general, I'd like to incorporate PDT on server side for content
assistance, code validation and maybe other features. I'm not sure yet
how to do it, I'm working on it...

I'd be glad for any comments :-).

[0] -
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/pdt-dev/msg01708.html