Re: [orbit-dev] Small Apache Batik 1.16 packaging issue

> Is it possible to update the Orbit packaging without changing the
version number (it's still Batik 1.16.0) except for the qualifier?

Yes, we do this all the time for Orbit as recipes get fixed.

> I have a patch [5] but I'm not sure what the impact of merging this
would be.

It mostly means that there is a chance that we have multiple versions of batik in SimRel and Ed :) may have to chase people down to make sure they are building/releasing against the latest version of dependency. To ease that it would help if you contributed an update to SimRel as soon as possible to give us all the most time to make sure that there won't be multiple batik's. The Eclipse Platform which also has some of batik in its p2 repo will pick up the Orbit change and publish that to SimRel on Feb 17.

(I am pretty sure you already do this:) Make sure that GMF Runtime / Sirius include Batik in your output p2 repo so your consumers get the correct one.

Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham (he/him)
Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com

On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 at 07:55, Pierre-Charles David <pierre-charles.david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

We (GMF Runtime and Sirius) recently moved to Apache Batik 1.16.0 as
packaged in Orbit. We did not notice it at the time, but it seems there
is a small packaging issue in the Orbit version.

Batik has removed its dependency to Xerces and Xalan in version 1.15
[1]. However the BND rules in Orbit for org.apache.batik.bridge [2] and
org.apache.batik.dom [3] still declare as dependency some packages to be
provided by Xalan:

  org.apache.xpath;version="${xalan-version}", \
  org.apache.xpath.objects;version="${xalan-version}", \

References to these have been removed from Batik in [4] (replaced by
standard equivalents provided directly by all modern JDKs).

Seeing that Batik itself had removed the dependency, I also (mistakenly)
removed it from GMF Runtime and Sirius. However it's still there
"hidden" in the batik-bridge and batik-dom Orbit bundles. This can cause
issues at build-time if the target platform does not pull Xalan
explicitly or from another dependency path (for example, via
org.apache.ant which has an optional dependency to Xalan).

Is it possible to update the Orbit packaging without changing the
version number (it's still Batik 1.16.0) except for the qualifier?

I have a patch [5] but I'm not sure what the impact of merging this
would be.

At the very least, this should be considered when Batik releases a new
version and we package it in Orbit.

[1] https://github.com/apache/xmlgraphics-batik/blob/trunk/CHANGES
[2]
https://git.eclipse.org/c/orbit/orbit-recipes.git/tree/apache/batik/org.apache.batik.bridge_1.16.0/osgi.bnd#n28