[orbit-dev] Small Apache Batik 1.16 packaging issue

Hi,

We (GMF Runtime and Sirius) recently moved to Apache Batik 1.16.0 as packaged in Orbit. We did not notice it at the time, but it seems there is a small packaging issue in the Orbit version.

Batik has removed its dependency to Xerces and Xalan in version 1.15  [1]. However the BND rules in Orbit for org.apache.batik.bridge [2] and org.apache.batik.dom [3] still declare as dependency some packages to be provided by Xalan:

 org.apache.xpath;version="${xalan-version}", \
 org.apache.xpath.objects;version="${xalan-version}", \

References to these have been removed from Batik in [4] (replaced by standard equivalents provided directly by all modern JDKs).

Seeing that Batik itself had removed the dependency, I also (mistakenly) removed it from GMF Runtime and Sirius. However it's still there "hidden" in the batik-bridge and batik-dom Orbit bundles. This can cause issues at build-time if the target platform does not pull Xalan explicitly or from another dependency path (for example, via org.apache.ant which has an optional dependency to Xalan).

Is it possible to update the Orbit packaging without changing the version number (it's still Batik 1.16.0) except for the qualifier?

I have a patch [5] but I'm not sure what the impact of merging this would be.

At the very least, this should be considered when Batik releases a new version and we package it in Orbit.

[1] https://github.com/apache/xmlgraphics-batik/blob/trunk/CHANGES
[2] https://git.eclipse.org/c/orbit/orbit-recipes.git/tree/apache/batik/org.apache.batik.bridge_1.16.0/osgi.bnd#n28 [3] https://git.eclipse.org/c/orbit/orbit-recipes.git/tree/apache/batik/org.apache.batik.dom_1.16.0/osgi.bnd#n14 [4] https://github.com/apache/xmlgraphics-batik/commit/490aed3336882aae0eb7c39307f04d6d4b85c4ac
[5] https://git.eclipse.org/r/c/orbit/orbit-recipes/+/199836

--
Pierre-Charles David (Obeo)

Back to the top