From: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gunnar Wagenknecht
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 9:59 AM
To: Orbit Developer discussion
Subject: Re: [orbit-dev] slf4j api and implementation bundles

Am 19.08.2011 08:50, schrieb Kirchev, Lazar:
> But probably I am wrong? org.slf4j.log4j do not provide the capability in question.

That's the Log4J API Bridge to SLF4J.

> Actually, if Logback  SLF4J fragment provides this requirement, why does org.slf4j.api host require it? Does it need it to work? Because the original slf4j api does not.

We had a lot trouble with this in the release train. Basically, a few
bundles needed Apache Commons Logging and p2 decided to install SLF4J
API bundle plus Commons Logging API Bridge to SLF4J. This started to
confuse users because suddenly log messages appeared which shouldn't.

Even worse, back that time we had SLF4J 1.5.x which actually failed if
no logger implementation was available. Thus, the requirement ensured
that at least one implementation had to be available in order to allow
the bundle to resolve.

1.6 is better so the requirement could be made optional. However, I
think it should still be there because it allows you to easier detect
deployment issues (for example, missing or too many log implementations).

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx