Re: [orbit-dev] Once provided, always provided

The bundle retention policy is available on the wiki:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Promotion%2C_Release%2C_and_Retention_Policies#Bundle_Retention

That being said, I haven't been deleting old bundle versions and should probably do that soon. (ICU and JUnit)

Inactive hide details for Gunnar Wagenknecht ---2010/07/21 01:42:00 AM---Hi David, Am 20.07.2010 19:31, schrieb David M WilliamGunnar Wagenknecht ---2010/07/21 01:42:00 AM---Hi David, Am 20.07.2010 19:31, schrieb David M Williams:

Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

2010/07/21 01:42 AM

Re: [orbit-dev] Once provided, always provided

Sent by:

orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi David,

Am 20.07.2010 19:31, schrieb David M Williams:
> So, I'm sure this particular case will be easily fixed, discussed, and
> resolved via bugzilla entry .... but wanted to post this general
> reminder of our practice and policy in case that it is not clear. Does
> this policy surprise anyone? If so, I guess this needs to be better
> documented somewhere?

Yes, I was surprised by this policy. Anyway, I also disagree with this
policy for a couple of reasons. It basically means, that over time Orbit
builds will become larger and larger with a lot of old "crap" in them.

These days, p2 is able to consume bundles from various repositories.
This also works nicely with PDE Build. Thus, for a true re-build one has
to use a particular build/p2 repository that was consumed in the
original build anyway. The bundles will always be available in old
builds. Thus, there is no point in keeping them forever in new builds,
especially when they were proofed to be buggy.

I see a point in keeping them for maintenance releases. But according to
our build policy Orbit doesn't do maintenance builds.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx