Re: [orbit-dev] Modifying source of a 3rd party library

Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:

> I think that we need a clear indicator that a modified library actually
> is a modification of the original release. IMO the qualifier is not
> enough if it's just a new timestamp. We need to add a keyword to the
> qualifier (eg. "patched") which clearly indicates the modification in
> the resulting JAR file name.

Why not change the bundle symbolic naming? Nowadays people should import
packages rather than require bundles anyway. ;-o

> Maybe we should also add a notice/readme file (eg. "MODIFICATIONS.txt")
> which lists all modifications including references to the CQs. Consumers
> need to be aware of any modification and additional CQs they inherit by
> using a modified Orbit bundle.

Better yet include the patch/diff in the bundle. That's how it is done
for example done in source .debs.

Markus

Back to the top