Re: [orbit-dev] XML Bundle Questions

Foundation 1.0 is not a proper subset of J2SE 1.3.1.  There are packages in Foundation 1.0 that are not available in 1.3.1 (javax.microedition.*).  There are also classes/methods available in both J2SE 1.2 and J2SE 1.3 that are not available in Foundation 1.0.  Foundation 1.0 profile removes many of the deprecated classes/methods.  You should not specify Foundation 1.0 EE unless you are positive that it can run on Foundation.  Even then you should also specify the lowest J2SE profile.  None of the J2SE profiles can satisfy the Foundation 1.0 profile because Foundation is not a proper subset of J2SE.

Tom

Oisin Hurley <ohurley@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/22/2007 05:09 PM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] XML Bundle Questions

Er, how bad is it for me to admit I don't know the real difference between
1.2 and Foundation 1.0?  :)
In fact, I'm not even sure ... are you suggesting it would be better to
specify as Foundation 1.0? I do know, from mailing lists, it does not
run on 1.1! I'll look to see if I can find the references if that would
help answer the question.

Foundation 1.0 is a superset of CDC 1.0 and is based upon a subset of  J2SE 1.3.1,
so if xerces works with J2SE 1.2, then it should work fine with Foundation 1.0 *unless*
it uses something like the index set/get functions on Vector, which came in at 1.2,
but aren't in CDC 1.0.

When you say 1.1 above, do you mean Foundation 1.1 or Java 1.1.*?

I have always heard it said that naming a product is more difficult than actually
shipping the thing :-)

regards
 --oh