Re: [orbit-dev] Invitation: Orbit conference call (Jan 9 11:00 AM EST)

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
Hi Scott,
This transfer independent protocol seems interesting. I think we might incorporate it in Buckminster somehow. We could easily slot it in under our current Maven provider and also use it for the URL provider. Can you provide a link to more info? I scanned your wiki (very quickly) but I didn't really know what to look for.

My apologiesinadvance, but the best current documentation for the file retrieval is in either the

a) test code. See here for project set file for everything including tests: http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/dev_resources.php b) the javadocs for the IRetrieveFileTransferContainerAdapter class: http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/api/org/eclipse/ecf/filetransfer/IRetrieveFileTransferContainerAdapter.html

I'm currently looking at writing a OBR provider for Buckminster. I downloaded the source and at first glance it seems fairly trivial.

Cool.  I would like to talk with you about this effort.

Are you suggesting using ECF to discover and download components? If so, we must talk about synergies :-)

ECF's discovery API (as implemented on zeroconf) could certainly be used to discover (and then using file transfer API to download/install/run) components/bundles...that sounds very interesting/exciting.

Scott

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Scott Lewis wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Jeff McAffer wrote:

This seems like an interesting approach to implementing an OBR-like client. Note that OBR is not a transfer protocol but rather more a discovery and selection mechanism. It uses metadata that follows the proposal in OSGi RFC 112 and uses that information to select and then download the required/requested information. Related to this is an indexing tool that generates the required metadata (David Williams has been running that on the Callisto update site for example).

To be clear, I am not pushing OBR per se. What I like about it is that it is repo independent, small, simple and it exists. Going forward I hope that the Eclipse provisioning story will be expanded to include the kinds of usecases discussed here (including the need to accomodate various repo formats). Did I miss something wrt the function that the ECF code provides?

I'm not sure. I wasn't proposing that ECF provides an OBR implementation, only that it could be used to provide a transport independent (and therefore repository protocol-independent) access to file transfer. I agree that's clearly just one piece to a full OBR (or equivalent) client...along with discovery and selection and probably other things.

But if an OBR (RFC 112)-like client for Eclipse is created/used, it seems it would be helpful to use a transport independent transfer API for the implementation of such a client (i.e. allowing/supporting more protocols for the 'Bundle-SourceURL' and 'Bundle-UpdateLocation' with...e.g. maven://foo.lala.com/artifactid).

It's also possible that ECF's discovery API (org.eclipse.ecf.discovery with zeroconf for one provider) could also be useful here, but I don't yet know anything about how the OBR discovery approach works, so I don't know that to be the case.

Scott

Jeff

*Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/10/2007 03:16 PM
Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

    Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject Re: [orbit-dev] Invitation: Orbit conference call (Jan 9 11:00 AM EST)

Hi Jeff and all,

Jeff McAffer wrote:

couple of notes.

- OBR was just one idea. The main benefit is that it is repo agnostic so the current orbit download site for example would serve just fine as a repo. Similarly, an update site or maven repo would alos work...

One thought/immodest proposal: ECF is finishing up a 'filetransfer' API (org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer) that supports asynchronous file retrieval. It's similar to KDE's KIO (in concept anyway). We use now us Apache httpclient 3.0.1 for http/https (soon from Orbit) and java.net.URLConnection for ftp, file, bittorrent (EPL impl done and soon to be added) and any others registered via URLStreamHandlerService.

It would/will be simple to add maven repo (or other repos)...and that's on the docket.

This API with appropriate providers could easily be used for fetching from custom/other repositories as well and provide some isolation of the client and UI code from the underlying transport/impl.

Scott

ECF:  _http://www.eclipse.org/ecf_
API javadocs:  _http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/api/_