Re: [orbit-dev] Invitation: Orbit conference call (Jan 9 11:00 AM EST)

Hi Jeff,

Jeff McAffer wrote:

This seems like an interesting approach to implementing an OBR-like client.  Note that OBR is not a transfer protocol but rather more a discovery and selection mechanism.  It uses metadata that follows the proposal in OSGi RFC 112 and uses that information to select and then download the required/requested information.  Related to this is an indexing tool that generates the required metadata (David Williams has been running that on the Callisto update site for example).

To be clear, I am not pushing OBR per se.  What I like about it is that it is repo independent, small, simple and it exists.  Going forward I hope that the Eclipse provisioning story will be expanded to include the kinds of usecases discussed here (including the need to accomodate various repo formats).

Did I miss something wrt the function that the ECF code provides?

I'm not sure.  I wasn't proposing that ECF provides an OBR implementation, only that it could be used to provide a transport independent (and therefore repository protocol-independent) access to file transfer.  I agree that's clearly just one piece to a full OBR (or equivalent) client...along with discovery and selection and probably other things.

But if an OBR (RFC 112)-like client for Eclipse is created/used, it seems it would be helpful to use a transport independent transfer API for the implementation of such a client (i.e. allowing/supporting more protocols for the 'Bundle-SourceURL' and 'Bundle-UpdateLocation' with...e.g.  maven://foo.lala.com/artifactid).

It's also possible that ECF's discovery API (org.eclipse.ecf.discovery with zeroconf for one provider) could also be useful here, but I don't yet know anything about how the OBR discovery approach works, so I don't know that to be the case.

Scott

Jeff

Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: orbit-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/10/2007 03:16 PM

Please respond to
Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Orbit Developer discussion <orbit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [orbit-dev] Invitation: Orbit conference call (Jan 9 11:00 AM EST)

Hi Jeff and all,

Jeff McAffer wrote:

couple of notes.

- OBR was just one idea.  The main benefit is that it is repo agnostic so the current orbit download site for example would serve just fine as a repo.  Similarly, an update site or maven repo would alos work...

One thought/immodest proposal:  ECF is finishing up a 'filetransfer' API (org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer) that supports asynchronous file retrieval.  It's similar to KDE's KIO (in concept anyway).  We use now us Apache httpclient 3.0.1 for http/https (soon from Orbit) and java.net.URLConnection for ftp, file, bittorrent (EPL impl done and soon to be added) and any others registered via URLStreamHandlerService.

It would/will be simple to add maven repo (or other repos)...and that's on the docket.

This API with appropriate providers could easily be used for fetching from custom/other repositories as well and provide some isolation of the client and UI code from the underlying transport/impl.

Scott

ECF:
http://www.eclipse.org/ecf
API javadocs: