Re: [nebula-dev] Future of Nebula

@Patrick

It would also help, in that context, to maintain somewhere easily visible the status of each of the components. It is helpful to potential users to know whether it is alpha/beta/rc/production, as well as the level of current attention it is getting from committers.

Yes, that is a great idea. The problem is that this information is currently documented (if at all) on the static website. Should we move this to the wiki?

It would also be helpful to add on which platform this widget is supposed to run and if this confirmed by consumers.

It can be very nervous for a developer like me that is not (yet) a committer to start using a

We welcome quality contributions ;)

widget that hasn’t seen any commits in months. I faced that about 18 months back when evaluating grid widgets. I chose NatTable in large part because of the active development happening with it, and it did (and continues to do) a great job for us.

I am glad that NatTable is working for you and indeed it is a great project. When it comes to stable grids, there are also other great options like XViewer and Grid. They are both feature complete (as far as possible with software ;) and therefore you will not see frequent commits. XViewer is actively monitored and maintained.

I found it hard at the time to evaluate the various Nebula widgets. Even now, I’m not quite sure what to make of the Nebula Grid, for instance. On its home page, it says:

NOTE: The Grid widget is still under active development. The code is made available in an ALPHA state. Users should expect changes in future versions.

Yes that sucks and is not true but it is the responsibility of the individual widget maintainers to update their website. Therefore I think that your idea should be implemented on the wiki.

When I check the git repository, to my “unfamiliar with Git” eyes, it looks like there have been only 5-6 commits in the last year, which doesn’t feel like “active” development. Yet, the Nebula Grid is categorized under “Nebula Release” rather than “Nebula Incubation”.

Again, this does not necessarily tell something about the quality of the widget.

Regards,

Wim

Back to the top