Re: [nebula-dev] JGoodies FormLayout port

Hi folks,

I just want to note, that we sucessfully use the port from http://ffxml.net/swtforms.html as well (mentioned by http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/nebula-dev/msg00524.html).
This port is based on JGoodies Forms 1.0.2.

In the last month we upgraded this port to equal JGoodies Forms 1.0.7 (I assume this will be available from Frank Fankhausers website soon).
In this process I could analyse a lot of the work that Florian has done and this was all very well.
The API is as close to the original API as possible, while bringing all the good layouting stuff to the SWT-world.

Of course this is no cleanroom implementation but an exact port. You can even do a very good code comparison on the sources (provided that you format both sources accordingly).
If you are concerned about licensing issues, please note, that Karsten Lentzsch, original author of JGoodies a long time ago proposed to port his implementation to SWT as well.
Unfortunataly this was never responded so well. (http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.platform.swt/msg00841.html)

Furthermore the project of Frank Fankhauser is referenced in the documentation of JGoodies as well, so Karsten Lentzsch is aware of this good work.
In regard to licensing issues, I think there won't be any problems, if one gets in contact with Karsten Lentzsch.

We didn't decide yet, if we go on to upgrade Franks port to the current JGoodies 1.2.0 since we just need the 1.0.7-like API.
Anyway - I suppose that this can be done within 1-2days, it might be possible to do this in the next 1-3 months if this project is getting momentum.

I don't know how the implementation of Matthew looks like. So I can't judge about the quality and code compatibility to the original JGoodies.
I regard this (API as near to JGoodies as possible) as a very strong must have. Thus all the original JGoodies Documentation matches perfectly.

Kind Regards,

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Stefan Hansel

tolina GmbH