Re: [nebula-dev] Date submissions - Eric and Jeremy

Steve Northover wrote:

> Sure.  The focus of SWT is native so a native version of the control is
> first priority for SWT.  For example, WinCE and phone versions of SWT
> have long wanted this native widget.  However, the native version of the
> control might be somewhat less flexible for desktop applications or some
> types of programs.  For example, a native calendar widget is unlikely to
> provide fine control over how a day is drawn or allow you to draw your
> own adornments over top.  A program that was based around a calendar
> might find this too restrictive and have need of an emulated version.
>  Hence, the Nebula one.  Do you agree?

As I work on a calendaring application, I certainly do agree that the
present native widgets are too restrictive.  For this type of
application a graphical date selector is a prominent part of the UI
which the user will reference and interact with on a very regular basis.
 Being such an integral part of the application, I cannot afford for it
to appear and operate as differently as it does on each platform - I
need a date selector which will blend in with the native widget set, but
maintain a consist interface.  I also do not want to be restricted with
the functionality of 1/8 of my usable space, and thus may optimize more
than the native widgets.
Many other applications may not need/want these changes and so I did not
see the Nebula widget and SWT widget directly competing.  It would,
however, be great if the Nebula group could work on a date selection API
in conjunction with the SWT team because, unlike table widgets, there is
no "commonly understood" way for a date selector to be programmed.  In
doing so, I think it is understood that SWT's first and foremost goal is
to native widgets and thus will have limitations on what it can and
can't do with an API.  I think it is perfectly reasonable that the
Nebula widget could adjust to the SWT API and only add functionality on
top.  I imagine developers learning all the new widgets would appreciate
some common ground.

Back to the top