Re: [nattable-dev] git rebase

Thanks Dirk, this is useful information too. Rebase essentially allows us to have a linear commit history like in svn, basically because svn does not treat workspaces as local branches. The author of the article correctly points out that you should never use rebase if you are sharing your local branch with anyone else. For minor changes it is likely you're not sharing your local branch so rebasing is probably ok, but the takeaway for me is that you should know what you are doing when you rebase. I agree that simply doing a git pull is the safer default option. The only disadvantage there is that the commit history may look a little more complicated, but once you get used to reading branches and merges in the commit history this isn't such a problem. So rebase is fine if you have local changes you've never shared with anyone and you think it's more sensible to simply treat your changes as being applied on top of the current state, but otherwise stick with pull. I'm glad we're having these discussions as it's making me understand distributed version control and git more.  :-)

Thanks,
Ed