Re: [mylyn-integrators] Switching Mylyn tasks externally.

In my opinion the foundation work of the core concepts of Activity-Based Computing (ABC) originated in 1986 at Xerox PARC (of course) where the Rooms system was created, but it was Donald Norman who first coined it ABC. With the rise of mobile computing the concept expanded to support 'the concept of activity' across devices. ABC's focus lies on creating an activity-centered computing infrastructure. "To support users with their physical work activities, the computing system must understand the concept of an activity and handle it like a first class object."

As far as I've read research on task-focused interfaces (I actually think I read Kersten's PhD when I started my master's thesis on ABC) it's focus has been more on providing the correct context within just one application. So I feel although some concepts definitely are similar, the main difference is focus. ABC likes to take a broader approach and incorporate all aspects of activity without limiting itself to any system or application.

This is exactly the reason why I would like to integrate Mylyn within an ABC system. Mylyn is state of the art when it comes to providing the correct context within an IDE. What I am more concerned with, is also allowing to integrate profilers, communication, decompilers, music players, possibly even another IDE, ... or any relevant context the user desires into one overall activity context.

In order to achieve this, I believe the most basic functionality I would need is allowing to change the currently active task. I need to be able to switch to the correct Mylyn task, which is associated with a certain activity in the ABC system.

Hopefully this clarifies what I'm after. :)

Greetings,
Steven