Re: [mylyn-integrators] Re: Building a book editor with WikiText

Aaron, you may want to take a look at VEX as well if your input format is a XML format or XHTML format. It use CSS to apply stylings and provides a WYSIWYG type editor which. Just an alternative to review as well, but I think WikiText is probably farther along and more stable due to it having more eyes on it.

http://build.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/vex-R0.5-I/20091204155602/I-I20091204155602-20091204155602/

Dave

David Green wrote:
Aaron,

Comments below.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Aaron Digulla <digulla@xxxxxxxx <mailto:digulla@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Am 04.12.2009 18:56, schrieb David Green:
    ... snip ....
    > In practice WikiText is very fast at rendering HTML from wiki
    markup.  I
    > recommend that you have a go without the AST initially, since it
    may save
    > you lots of work.

    I guess I could to the chopping the the XHTML level :/

It's also possible to use WikiText to parse your documents to determine suitable positions for cutting your document into smaller pieces. WikiText provides a facility for parsing a document's blocks only, which makes parsing considerably faster. This mode of parsing is used by WikiText when partitioning documents in the editor. See MarkupLanguage.isBlocksOnly() for details.
     ... snip ...
    > You can get the current position when parsing in a
    DocumentBuilder via
    > getLocator()

    OK. That would mean I need to extend the HTML builder to insert
    position
    information which shouldn't be too hard. I've found that your builder
    are really easy to reuse.

Great to hear.

    At first, I was a bit afraid that you're like the other Eclipse
    guys who
    try to close every pore of the code (everything is either private,
    final, or protected with a
    getClass().getName().startsWith("org.eclipse.") ... or all three)

Often when designing API it helps to keep implementation details hidden, since it makes it easier for the implementation to evolve over time without breaking third party code. I can understand why it's done, however I agree that it can limit your options when consuming the API.
    ... snip...
    > Take a look at new 1.3 APIs, specifically
    > org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext.ui.editor.WikiTextSourceEditor
    > If it doesn't meet your needs feel free to post an enhancement
    request.

    Thanks, I will. I hope I can easily create this class in unit tests
    (i.e. without having to start OSGi). Nope ... *sigh* I just wished
    there
    was something like StyledText which I could just invoke. Having to
    deal
    with the whole of Eclipse just to add a feature to the editor is
    intimidating.

I agree that it can be a little overwhelming. I recommend starting with one small thing at a time. As you complete each feature you'll find that it becomes easier. Also since it's all open source it's easy to go and look for examples of similar functionality in other projects. If you need help feel free to ask on this list

    Since the core of Eclipse are the editors, I'd expect that there are
    some excellent books or articles which explain in detail how they work
    and how you extend them. Any pointers? My last explorations in
    StyledText weren't very successful or welcome :(

A good place to start is with the platform documentation and reference that you get with the Eclipse SDK. I've found it to be really great.

Good luck with your project!

David