[mylyn-integrators] single-select with many options

How can I support a single-select field in my task that has many, many options, way too many to put in a drop-down list?  It’s unfortunate that this field has so many possibilities, but there’s nothing I can do about it.  I need the user to be able to select among them.  I’ve considered supplying a way to hide some of them, but it’s not optimal.

My best idea is to let the user type the label of the option she wants, and provide content assistance so that as she types, the possibilities are narrowed, according to that attribute’s options.  I’m open to other suggestions.

I’d like to use the TextAttributeEditor and decorate it with a content assist, when appropriate.  It looked at first like the right way to do that was to subclass AttributeEditorToolkit, but I can’t do that – the constructor has package scope.    Pretty useless, then, AbstractTaskEditorPage’s non-final, public getAttributeEditorToolkit() method, since there’s nothing useful I can do when I override it – I can’t create an instance of any other class, and the only meaningful method to call – adapt(AbstractAttributeEditor) – can’t be made to do anything new.

Seems like the best thing to do is subclass AttributeEditorFactory, look for my attribute – I’ll give it a new type, probably – and decorate it myself with content assist then.

Any other ideas?

Larry Edelstein

Senior Member of Technical Staff

Salesforce.com