Re: [mylyn-integrators] need some guidance with writing new connector

Hi Mark,

With respect to the SQL connector please note that I have refactored the project and adapted some code so that the set of config files and the specific code, like drivers is in a Eclipse Fragment project. You can use fragments as well for your set up. Further more I have created two demo projects, one using the Derby database, without data, and a MySQL version also with limited data.

The fragment will alo be the host for the most specific part of each issue trackker system: the New Task Creation Editor.

I would appreciate your feedback on using this connector.

Maarten

Op 5 jun 2008, om 17:01 heeft Mark Geib het volgende geschreven:

Maarten,

Thanks for the response.

Quickly, is there a set of columns/attributes I must provide for a task.? I have looked at the few config files in your project and there are some slight differences.

It looks like:
taskId
product
owner
summary
priority
completed
completionDate
creationDate
dueDate
notes

but I see a few others like estimatedTimeHours, etc.

I thought before I try to connect to sqlserver I will create a test db with mysql on Linux and use that to learn a bit...

Thanks again,
Mark.

Maarten Meijer wrote:
The Ibatis SQL Connector is built against Mylyn 2.3.x, the reason is that most use is foreseen in large shops that have internal issue tracking systems and use commercial Eclipse based toolsets (like RSA or Borland). These are still lagging in the version, so in the Mylyn versions they can support. RSA 7.0 is based on Eclipse 3.2. The imminent release of Mylyn 3.0 means that we (me, the coder + TSI, the sponsor) must review our position. I'm running 3.4M5 myself (got bitten by p2) at home, but now doing a job with RSA based on 3.2, i.e. the real world. One step maybe to donate the code to the eclipse.org as Mylyn incubator project. Another step will be to separate the main DB engine (feature/ plugin) and the implementations for various DB's (into fragments?)
Once that is done migration to 3.0 will start.
Your question is where to start...
basically, all you need to do is create a folder witth some configuration files:
db.properties with driver, etc
SqlMapConfig with general setup and pointers to the other maps
CommentsMap.xml
RepositoryMap.xml
TaskMapMap.xml
These contain the SQL instructions to take care of retrieval and mapping to Mylyn properties The go to the plugin prefs and point the two bottom fields at SqlMapConfig.xml and db.properties And enter the database url (can also be in properties!) and it should connect. For instructions on ibatis I point to their excellent website and docs on http://ibatis.apache.org
Maarten
Op 4 jun 2008, om 22:06 heeft Mark Geib het volgende geschreven:
Maarten,

I have just recently upgraded to Eclipse 3.4RC2. Included in the package is the mylyn plugins. I am just now back to working on getting your connector to work with our ticket system.

The problem is I can not get it to export with the new Eclipse and/or mylyn. Are you building against the mylyn 3.0 stream...?

If yes then tell me how you use your plugins. Do you export the features and into your eclipse dropins folder then re-run eclipse.? Or, do you run with eclipse.

Sorry to bother but I am stuck.

Mark.

Maarten Meijer wrote:
The idea is that you set up the queries in the ibatis config files, enter the DB password & url in the prefs and go
Alternatively username password can be set in some fragment.
My next development step is moving specifics per repository into fragments, so I value your experience in making it work for you Until now I have focussed on looking at pre existing tasks (task creation is very workflow related) and sharing context in that.
Can you connect?
Can you display task/comments/attachments/etc
How about sharing context?
I would love to hear from you
Maarten
Op 29 mei 2008, om 16:17 heeft Mark Geib het volgende geschreven:
Maarten,

I forgot to mention. When you mentioned that all the users need access to the DB I said they had access. However, the DB is MS sql server and is 'protected' with the the windows domain security...

Common .NET apps automatically authenticate with some windows magic behind the scenes.

Is the best approach here that when the repository is configured on the client that the username/password would be entered for use in making the DB connection?

Thanks again,
Mark.

Maarten Meijer wrote:
Is your inhouse ticket tracking system using a database backend that is accessible for all? Then look at:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Mylyn/Generic_SQL_Connector
code at:
svn://bugs.industrial-tsi.com/mylyn_gsc
Maarten
Op 28 mei 2008, om 00:22 heeft Mark Geib het volgende geschreven:
We have decided to write a Mylyn connector to support accessing tickets from an in-house ticket tracking system.

Can someone help minimize the startup time of this project by suggesting how is the best way to get started.

I have downloaded and looked at the Trac connector but I have also migrated to Eclipse 3.4RC1 and find that the Trac connector source checked out from CVS will not build with Eclipse3.4 and the latest Mylyn release for Eclipse 3.4.

Is it best to take the Trac plugins as a starting point, if so then is a lag in the source/version for Trac that will be addressed soon.??

Thank you anyone for any help you can give,
Mark.

Principal Engineer
Cheyenne Software Engineering
mark.geib@xxxxxxxxxxxx / 35-215