Re: [mylyn-docs-dev] Future plans

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 1:40 PM Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2021, at 02:31, Leo Dos Santos <leo.dos.santos@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I’d like to avoid introducing any new runtime dependencies for the time being, so that integrators on Java 8 can continue to consume Wikitext as a library.

Leo, how many integrators are there?

FWIW, there are no more public updates to Java 8. Bluntly, if there are integrators still using and running on Java 8 they probably don't worry about adopting to new Wikitext versions anyway. Integrators worried about Java 8 *and* Wikitext updates should also do have budget for setting up a branch and back porting fixes when needed. They have to pay for Java 8 updates anyway so it's reasonable to assume they can pay for Wikitext updates, tool.

I would recommend processing with updating to Java 11. There is a huge cost saving benefit when reducing dependencies.

So may I ask for conclusion on the topic here ? The way I read it right now is until PL agrees non-eclipse plugin parts stay on Java 8 but I hope for a change :)

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/