Re: [mylyn-dev] Bug or Feature

Something about (1) scares me. While having two ways of closing would be semantically correct, I think in practice it would difficult to adopt. Im so used to pressing CTRL + W to close whatever it is im looking at that re-training my brain would be frustrating to say the least. :)

I think (2) is definitely a better approach, it would probably require some tuning to work out what would be an appropriate scaling factor (and possibly allow the user to set a preference)

Personally I wouldnt need to see a visual indication of the difference in landmarks, just bold is fine, but of course it wouldnt hurt if there was some way of marking the difference without creating too much visual confusion.

Martin

Mik Kersten wrote:
Good points Martin.  I think that we still have to figure out the following:

1) What to do when close means "free up resources" and not "I'm not
interested in this".  The premise Mylyn currently works with is that when
there are less than a few dozen editors open excessive resources are not
used.  We should gather all the cases where this is not true.

2) Handle the case of something being marked explicitly interesting.
Mylyn's current model assumes that over time everything can decay in
interest.  For two reasons:

	* Some task contexts can be very long lived (e.g. update web site)
and could become overloaded with landmarks.

	* We do not distinguish between implicitly created landmarks and
explicitly created ones in order to keep the UI simple (i.e. either it's
bold or it isn't).

What we could do for (1) is provide some kind of new command that closes
without reducing interest.  To determine how prominent this command would be
we will need a number of concrete use cases where this functionality is
desired.

What we could do for (2) is change the scaling of what it means to
explicitly mark something a landmark to make it require something like 10x
the current amount of lack of interaction with it to make it decay to be a
non-landmark.

Mik

Back to the top