RE: [mylar-dev] Mylar Monitor

Regarding (2), no, you should not need to add a new interaction event for that, since a commit and other actions of that sort are COMMAND events.  If you do not see the commit events that you’re looking for in the interaction history logs, you could submit a bug or patch to ensure that we add monitoring of the corresponding event.

Mik

From: mylar-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mylar-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Everitt, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 6:01 AM
To: mylar-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mylar-dev] Mylar Monitor

  1. I want to upload all of the users Action History within a workgroup to a server.
  2. On the server I want to look at all of the users to see the projects / packages to which they have edited or committed code.
  3. I want to take the summary information about each user and add it to my team member database so I can identify code experts by package based upon some threshold

Here are my first ideas how this could be done:

1. It looks like I can use this code to upload the Action History Files – I want to do this automatically as a background task (Job) at a scheduled time

org.eclipse.mylar.internal.monitor.usage.ui.wizards.UsageSubmissionWizard

      public void performUpload (IProgressMonitor monitor) {

       * Method to upload a file to a cgi script

      private void upload(File f, String type, IProgressMonitor monitor)

– not really sure what type of cgi script would be uploaded? Is there an example of how this works?

2.  I think org.eclipse.mylar.internal.monitor.reports  processes Action History Files in

org.eclipse.mylar.internal.monitor.reports.ui.actions.EclipseUsageSummaryAction in the  method

run that calls getStatsFilesFromSelection gets a list of Action History files.  I think it uses a visitor pattern for calling various usage collection routines.

The routines include org.eclipse.mylar.monitor.usage.core.collectors.SummaryCollectory which gets counts of events, commands, preference changes,  and selections.  It looks like I can tell whether the action was a SELECTION, EDIT, COMMAND or PREFERENCE.  It doesn’t look like there is a way to determine the file was “committed” to a Source Control Repository.  How hard is it to add additional InteractionEvent.Kinds?  is there another way to do this?  would it scale if I added many?

3.  I would run the org.eclipse.mylar.internal.monitor.reports.ui.actions such as EclipseUsageSummaryAction headless on the Corona Server.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what classes to look at converting to remove the GUI code or how much work this would be?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Glenn Everitt

Corona Project