Re: [mylar-dev] working bootstrapped

It sounds to me like you're trying to bootstrap into the same workspace that you're currently running eclipse in. The way the rest of us bootstrap, is to have a first workspace which pretty much consists of just mylar so that we can bootstrap, and then a second separate workspace which we actually used to develop in. This does in fact mean that we all have mylar checked out at least twice...

Nathan

Raphael Ackermann wrote:
I was trying to follow the instructions on
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Mylar_Contributor_Reference#Conventions
to use mylar in bootstrapped mode (see below), but when I try to
launch the application, I get an error message saying that the
workspace is already in use. The .lock file is detected. If I manually
remove the .lock file in the .metadata directory of the workspace, I
can successfully launch a bootstrapped mylar, but I don't think that
that should  be necessary. What am I doing wrong?

Raphael Ackermann

Working bootstrapped

Working bootstrapped (i.e. self-hosted) makes eating your own dog food
easier and avoids having to update to dev builds:

   * Set up a fresh workspace launched from an Eclipse that does not
have Mylar installed, and check out Mylar into it.
   * Create a new Launch Configuration, point it at your workspace,
and work in that. Note that the launching workspace will typically
consume very little memory.
   * Whenever your changes make it into HEAD close your runtime
workspace, update from CVS, and then re-launch. It is possible to run
in debug mode so that the changes apply to the workspace immediately
after synch, but this can cause problems with the running workspace if
classes change or go missing.