Re: [mosquitto-dev] Unable to start mosquitto - problem with password file

Shan

Thanks for this.

What issues do these commands actually fix? (My /etc/mosquitto/passwd file, as generated by mosquitto_password, currently has owner read & write access.)

Unclear about the form of the chown command. What is the "1883" value? My reading of the man page is that these values should either be UID and GID values, or user names as aliases for these. My /etc/mosquitto/passwd file is currently owned by root, which seems right to me for a file that will be accessed by a process executed by systemd. Or maybe I am misunderstanding?

Some problem with file access rights (as opposed to existence) seems a good call. But I cannot see anywhere in the docs what these need to be.

Best,

P.