Re: [mosquitto-dev] Throttling for outgoing messages from bridge

Hi Ajay,

Bridges are governed by the max_inflight_messages option as well. This
only limits the maximum number/quota of QoS 1 or QoS 2 messages that
are in flow at once, so it's not strictly a throttle but does have
that effect. In general flow control works much better on MQTT v5
because both sides can inform each other about the inflight quota
values they support. One aspect that I'm not sure about is the message
rate when the bridge is originally brought up and the retained
messages are sent, or likewise when the connection drops and
reconnects. I'm not 100% sure that the messages are throttled in that
case.

For QoS 0, messages will be delivered as fast as they are received,
unless the number of outstanding messages reaches the limit of
max_queued_messages, at which point further messages are dropped.

Do you have a particular view on how you'd like throttling to work for you?

Regards,

Roger