[mosquitto-dev] Messages are removed from the retain store, if expired

Hi MQTT people

I published a message to mosquitto with the following properties set :

  • RETAIN flag set
  • Property « Message Expiry Interval » set to 30sec.

Now I discovered  that after this 30sec the message is not only cleaned from the broker’s session state of those clients to which it hasn’t been able to transmit, but obviously also from the retain store of the broker, because if I connect with another client after this 30sec have expired, I don’t get the retained value any longer.

Beeing quite sure, that this was an implementation error, I consulted the MQTT5 specification. Unfortunately the spec is not very precise about this issue, so the implementation decision which has been taken in the mosquitto broker is legitimate. But I ask myself, if it would make sense to make this behaviour in the broker configurable.

What do you think about it ?

This email and any attachments are only for use by the intended recipient(s) and may contain legally privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise private information. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, dissemination, distribution or other disclosure of the contents of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Neither this information block, the typed name of the sender, nor anything else in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Back to the top