Re: [mosquitto-dev] patches from pkgsrc for discussion, based on 1.6.1

Christoph Willing <chris.willing@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The contents of these .pc files just contain the locations of various
> directories, some of whose contents are architecture dependent. Although
> their contents will vary according to the architecture of the machine
> for which they were built, they are just text files so nothing
> architecture dependent in themselves.

By "architecture dependent", I meant "the set of bits might be different
on different arches".

> The only problem I see with that is, as you point out, if machines with
> different architectures are mounting their share directory from some
> central location; then the contents of the .pc files will be wrong for
> some of the machines using them.

Agreed.  This is exactly the point of share -- that one can safely do
that.  (The share notion dates back to the early days of BSD, probably
mid 80s, but certianly by 4.4BSD in the early 90s.  NFS was common
then.)

Thanks for the discussion -- I filed a ticket:

https://github.com/eclipse/mosquitto/issues/1251

Back to the top