Re: [mosquitto-dev] patches from pkgsrc for discussion, based on 1.6.1

Christoph Willing <chris.willing@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> From the pkg-config manpage (about PKG_CONFIG_PATH):
>
> "the default is libdir/pkgconfig:datadir/pkgconfig where libdir is the
> libdir for pkg-config and datadir is the datadir for pkg-config when it
> was installed."
>
> On Slackware64, libdir is lib64 so that's where pkgconfig has
> traditionally been located (/usr/lib64/pkgconfig). However I notice that
> some packages are installing pkgconfig into datadir (which becomes
> /usr/share/pkgconfig here).
>
> Clearly, according to the manpage, both locations will work although I'm
> unsure as to what the difference actually means and why would one be
> chosen in preference to the other. Given that both locations are
> acceptable, the patch to revert back to libdir/pkgconfig may not be
> necessary.

Thanks.  Another question is if it can be proven that the pkgconfig file
for a given package will be the same on all architectures.  This is also
necessary for a .pc file to be safely installed in
${PREFIX}/share/pkgconfig, even if it's true that this location will be
searched.

Overall, I tend to think that pkgconfig files should be installed to
$libdir/pkgconfig, because it's first in the path, and does not require
an argument of arch independence.

Back to the top