[modeling-pmc] Clarification regarding the remark from Miles w.r.t. GMF Tooling / Runtime, Re: modeling-pmc Digest, Vol 75, Issue 12

Let me please do a small clarification w.r.t. the remark of Miles regarding
GMF Tooling / Runtime. I want to do this, because there where unfair and
unprofessional remarks regarding GMF Tooling both in talks and blogs,
thus I hope you forgive me the rather lengthy mail.
Miles: I know you only had the best intentions.
+1 to all of this. I think it's the right way to go and will have a
really positive effect on acceptance of modeling. I think there are
areas where it makes sense to keep sub-projects and or umbrella
projects but that should be guided by real affinity or obvious
coordination. GMF Runtime and Tooling be handled is one interesting
example. On the one hand they have very obvious affintiy and
coordination needs, but OTOH, GMF Runtime is and I think should be
evolving more to a clean graphical API that isn't so much driven by
being a target for generated code.
Actually the situation between the two projects is exactly the contrary:
GMF Tooling is and will evolve more into a clean MDA Architecture from a
platform independent domain model (PIM) for diagram editors to a given
platform (GMF Runtime) with all its limitations.  The PIM of the domain
of diagram editors is the right basis for a clean graphical API in my opinion.

The splitting IS a success, but NOT because it allowed GMF Runtime to evolve (GMF-R has almost no funding behind, and activity is low), BUT becuase it allowed
GMF Tooling (which as 3 FTEs working longtime on the open source framework,
without commercial obligations) to evolve it to cover not only the GMF Runtime platform, but as well the Graphiti platform (first prototypes being here), and
as well to start covering the HTML5/Web platform, based on an own runtime.

Last remark: IF anyone really has funding and plans to evolve GMF Runtime into a clean graphical API, this should be done in cooperation with the GMF Tooling
team, and not independently. The GMF Tooling team is always happy to share
experience and welcome Eclipse people to work with them in their Prag office.

Back to the top