[modeling-pmc] Waynes question about how a UML2 Profile looks like

Hi, Wayne.
> I'm more curious about the second part of my question. What does a UML2 Profile look like? Is it just an ecore file, or is there more to it?

A UML2 Profile is first of all an instance of the UML2-metamodel. The UML2-metamodel can be considered a model written in ECore to simplify the situation. Thus one answer to your question is that an UML2 profile manifests as an UML2 model, using the UML2 constructs to define profiles.

However, these profile constructs define additional attributes, references, inheritance for existing UML2 constructs. Thus the idea is natural, to do this definitions not as instances of the UML2 profile constructs, but as ECore models, whose classes extend the classes of the UML2 metamodel.

In the Eclipse work on UML2, as far as I can guess, I assume, that the profiles are defined and stored as ECore models, but if we would store them to correct XMI of the UML2 metamodel, I assume they would not be ECore models, but UML2 models.

Kenn: please correct me if I told something that is fundamentally wrong.

Regards, Philipp

Back to the top