Re: [modeling-pmc] Declaration for the Graphiti project

Michael,

Comments below.

Wenz, Michael wrote:

Hi,

I just noticed that my first reply does not appear in the modeling-pmc archives. I’m not sure I it reached anybody, so I just mail my answer again.

Regards,

Michael

Hi all,

sorry for the late reply, but we first needed to have some team-internal discussions on this which could only be done now as all team members are back from their holidays now - and German Christmas and New Years holidays are traditionally long... ;-)

We placed our proposal intentionally directly under the EMP umbrella and not under GMF, because we didn't want to create the impression that switching a tool that was generated using GMF (and its standard runtime) to Graphiti would be very simple. Having an alternative runtime sounds - at least to us - like it is simply done by setting another flag somewhere and maybe trigger a re-generation and that's it. But that's simply not the case.

It would be nice if that worked, but I can imagine it's not that simple.

In fact, Graphiti has a completely different approach than the GMF runtime (keyword here is features, which is the concept to describe a certain behavior in Graphiti). In general the needed runtime artifacts differ quite a lot from what is needed for GMF. Actually, I'm not really sure if the information collected inside the GMF metamodels is sufficient to generate a tool upon the Graphiti framework; additional information might be necessary whereas existing information in the GMF metamodels might not be useful at all for Graphiti generation.

An additional argument for not being placed under the GMF project is the fact that GMF is very much based upon the generation of tools, whereas Graphiti is intended to be a runtime API the user codes against. We have had our own internal approaches with generated tools inside SAP and always ended at a point where the generation approach came to an end and hand-crafting was necessary again. And manually adapting generated coding can be very awkward. In our opinion, the generation of tools is great for easy tools or for showcases and demos, but real tools offering increased value and high usability to end-users will, in our view, need manual coding.

Yes, optimal rarely lies at the extremes.

Because of that, the generation of tools is not in the focus of the Graphiti project at all. Of course it would be possible to add it on top but that is not our short- or mid-term intention. But being an additional runtime for GMF would require just this very soon.

On the other hand we can also understand the argument of polluting the Modeling Project with yet another graphical framework. From that aspect we would vote for a kind of umbrella project as Ed has suggested. Nevertheless, we cannot judge what that would mean from the administrative point of view...

To my thinking it's just more of an organizational thing to create an organized tree structure with high level categories under which to fit the very  large and growing numbers of projects.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Two question in the end:

1) What would it mean for us as a project if we become a sub-subproject underneath such an umbrella project (or the GMF project) instead of being a subproject underneath EMP?

It has effectively almost no impact, e.g., what's the impact on JET, Acceleo and Xpand that they are under an umbrella project? It helps, at least to my mind, that they're grouped meaningfully.  One small impact is that the leads of the top level projects are on the PMC, but often the leads don't attend as in today and anyone is more than welcome to attend PMC calls if they're interested or would like their voice to be heard.

2) Should this discussion be continued here or shouldn't it be shifted to the Modeling Forum?

I doubt many folks outside of the PMC would have much opinion on this.

Kind regards,

Michael

Michael Wenz
Senior Developer

TD Core JS&I DPI (AG)

SAP AG
Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16
69190 Walldorf, Germany

T +49 6227 7-61613
F +49 6227 78-27044

E michael.wenz@xxxxxxx

www.sap.com

Pflichtangaben/Mandatory Disclosure Statements: http://www.sap.com/company/legal/impressum.epx

Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.