From: Ed Merks [mailto:merks@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:54 AM
To: Janet Campbell
Cc: 'Bjorn Freeman-Benson'; mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx; 'PMC members
Subject: RE: [modeling-pmc] FW: Teneo

Janet,

I've been chatting with Martin about Teneo's long term plans and indeed he
is already working closely with the EclipseLink folks (Shaun Smith and
Stephan Eberle) with the goal of integrating Teneo with the EclipseLink
runtime when that becomes available at Eclipse.  This would provide
commercial vendors with all of Teneo's current capabilities in a form
perhaps more easily useable in commercial products while also continuing to
support the existing community that is depending on what remains today's
most popular and mature object persistence architecture.  (Does this give
you warmer fuzzier feelings Mike?)

Given all the discussion around EPL and LGPL compatibility, I wonder if you
could comment on this explicit statement at
http://www.hibernate.org/356.html:

   The LGPL license is sufficiently flexible to allow the use of Hibernate
   in both open source and commercial projects. The LGPL guarantees that
   Hibernate and any modifications made to Hibernate will stay open source,
   protecting our and your work. Anyone who wanted to release Hibernate
   under a different license would have to obtain permission from hundreds
   of people who have contributed code to Hibernate, which would be
   impractical. Hibernate is and will be open source distributed under the
   LGPL.

   Using Hibernate (by importing Hibernate's public interfaces in your Java
   code), and extending Hibernate (by subclassing or implementation of an
   extension interface) is considered by the authors of Hibernate to be
   dynamic linking. Hence our interpretation of the LGPL is that the use of
   the unmodified Hibernate source does not affect the license of your
   application code.

   The use of the unmodified Hibernate binary of course never affects the
   license of your application or distribution. The LGPL also forbids
   distribution for profit, so you will never have to pay money to any
   commercial entity for using or integrating Hibernate.

   If you modify Hibernate and redistribute your modifications, the LGPL
   applies. Please submit any modifications to our JIRA issue tracking
   system.

It seems to be a clear statement that Hibernate can be used in commercial
products.  The second paragraph in particular, makes a very specific
statement of how the use of Hibernate is to be interpreted relative to the
LGPL license.  Do these clear and specific statements carry sufficient
legal weight to make Hibernate compatible with EPL?  I believe that is the
intent behind these statements...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

             "Janet Campbell"
             <janet.campbell@e
             clipse.org>                                                To
                                       Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
             04/15/2007 09:21                                           cc
             AM                        "'Bjorn Freeman-Benson'"
                                       <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
                                       "'PMC members mailing list'"
                                       <modeling-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
                                       <modeling-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
                                       <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [modeling-pmc] FW: Teneo

To clarify - changes are coming.  The details of those proposed changes
will
be circulated to all Board members prior to the meeting where the issue
will
be discussed.  We will make every effort to ensure that all Board members
have an opportunity to review the material and discuss the potential
changes
with stakeholders prior to the meeting.

Janet